A great vacation rental management company will create a stress-free experience for you while maximizing your vacation rental income. However, as a short-term rental owner, you could find yourself in a situation where you’re having to take on operational tasks that your current property management company isn’t handling.
Are you communicating with maintenance vendors? Are you going out and purchasing new linens and operating supplies? Are you renewing your own STR permits? Any of these situations are a sign that it’s time to change your property management company. If you’re at the end of your vacation rental management agreement or your current property manager is dropping the ball, it might be time for a change! These tips will help you find a better vacation rental management company that meets your needs and financial goals.
When is it time to hire a new vacation rental property manager
It may seem daunting to change property management companies, but the reward for doing so outweighs any pressure and stress you’re currently facing. The right team will be able to take care of everything to keep your home in pristine condition, consistently booked, and handle all operational tasks that come with managing a short-term rental property. Still unsure if you should switch vacation rental management companies? Here are some signs that it’s time to start your research:
- Your vacation rental isn’t consistently booked.
- Owner statements aren’t clear or you get random invoices.
- You’re doing your own marketing.
- You’re communicating directly with guests and vendors.
- You’re responsible for filing taxes and obtaining STR permits.
- Your vacation rental management agreement is almost up.
- Low/slow season is ahead of you!
How to choose a better vacation rental management company
There are many things to consider when choosing a new vacation rental manager. Luckily, we’ve created a guide to help you make an informed, stress-free decision. Here are some of the top questions you should ask:
- How large is your rental portfolio? Will I receive local support?
- How will you get my home ready for guests?
- Will you handle permitting, inspections, occupancy taxes, and insurance?
- What are the vacation rental management fees & contract terms?
- What services are included in my contract?
- How will you advertise my home?
- How do I know my home will be in good hands?
- Can you guarantee I’ll make more money on my vacation home than I did last year?
- What does the transition timeline entail and how long will my home be off-market?
- How much involvement will I have in the transition from my current property manager?
How to break up with your property manager
Once you’ve found the right vacation rental manager for your needs, it’s time to part ways with your current property manager. But don’t worry, breaking up with your property management company isn’t as awkward as it seems. Start by revisiting your vacation rental management agreement. There could be clauses in your contract that allow you to terminate your agreement if your vacation rental manager isn’t delivering on services as stated.
Even if you can’t find a right to terminate in your contract, you should still reach out to your vacation rental manager and exercise your right to termination. Keep it simple and be prepared. Make a list of all the things they said they would do but aren’t (with specific examples), along with other reasons the partnership is no longer working. Also, make sure to put your termination notice in writing even if you end your partnership over the phone or in person.
Enjoy full-service vacation rental management with AvantStay
When you partner with a full-service management company like AvantStay, you’ll never have to worry about any of the above. We’ll work with you every step of the way during your termination timeline and transition to AvantStay, while going above and beyond to limit the time your listing is offline.
Once you’re brought on to the AvantStay platform, you’ll receive unmatched personalized service through a dedicated Onboarding Manager who will quickly assist with any inquiries. For your peace of mind, our Policy and Risk team keep a constant pulse on the ever-evolving short-term rental regulatory requirements across the country, so your home is always in good standing.
We pair all of that personal support with a proprietary tech suite that powers bookings, operationalizes in-field management, and activates an elevated guest experience. We take care of all the work to maximize your home’s income so you can sit back and relax—it’s that simple.
If you own a vacation rental and are interested in learning more about AvantStay’s management services, schedule some time on my calendar!